Lesser Of Two Evils


As a long suffering Mets fan this is the worst case scenario. (aside from Steve Phillips getting his job back). I'm of course referring to the 2009 World Series matchup between the Yankees and Phillies. It's easy for an outside observer just to say "you're from New York man root for the Yankees" but...it's not that simple. Truth be told I hate the Yankees. I hate their payroll (even though the Mets have the 2nd highest), I hate most of their players, I hate their fans who materialize every October, and I really hate the "we got 27 championships, how many yew got?" fans. (Oh yeah, Pal? You look about 20 years old. That '27 squad must have been something to watch huh?)

Can I root for the Phillies though? I can't imagine the flying Hawaiian and Jimmy Rollins spraying champagne on each other would bring me any joy.

However........this is going to be a good series. I don't think either team is capable of a sweep or even winning in 5. This is going to be good. **Can we get an under/over for people hospitalized/killed on Sunday Nov. 1st? 1PM Giants at Eagles 8 PM Yankees at Phillies. I'm gonna set the line at 4.5.**

Let's get into a little preview.

1B. Teixeira vs. Ryan Howard. Offense - Draw. Defense - Teixeira Slightly.
2B. Utley vs. Cano. Offense - Utley. Defense - Utley.
SS. Rollins vs. Jeter. This is tough. Due to postseason experience I'm giving both to the Captain though.
3B. A-Rod vs. Feliz - Offense - Obviously A-Rod. Has he snapped out of his October slumps though? Seems like it. Should be interesting. Defense - Feliz is sensational at 3rd however he just gets a slight edge over Bitch Tits.
RF - Jason Werth vs. Nick Swisher. Here is my prediction. Swisher misplays 2-3 in the outfield this series. IF the Phillies win. That's a Big IF. Werth is the MVP. This is the Phillies wild card right hurr. Offense - Werth. Defense - Werth by a mile.
CF - Melky vs. The Flyin Hawaiian - I think this is gonna be a wash. Victorino can make more things happen with his speed but yeah this is a draw to me.
LF- Ibanez vs. Damon. Offense - Damon. Defense - HAHAHAHA. Damon has an arm like a snake.
C- Ruiz vs. Posada - Offense - Posada. (Don't sleep on Ruiz in October though) Defense - Ruiz by a mile. More on this in a minute.
DH (In New York) Matsui vs. I guess it's Fransisco. That's what I would do anyway. Gotta go with Godzilla here. I think the Phillies are under-utilizing Fransisco this postseason.

Now it might seem like I'm favoring the Phillies but not really. Overall the Phillies are better defensively but the Yankees aren't going to make a TON of errors. Their infield is EXTREMELY solid. Their outfield though? Just hope no balls get hit to the wall Yankee backers. Unless you want to see Swisher and Damon run into the fence and not make the catch.

Above I was comparing position by position which hides the fact that the Yankees have a better lineup. I mean Jeter in October is like Sunday Tiger in Tiger Woods Golf, Damon who's gonna hit a few 200 feet homeruns, then Tex, A-Rod...WOW. That lineup doesn't quit. The Phillies have an almost American League lineup though and are definitely no slouch.

Pitching.
Game 1-Lee vs. Sabathia (battle of the Indians Cy Young winners. How long before one of these teams have Sizemore too?)
Game 2-Pedro vs. Burnett MUCH more on this in a minute.
Game 3-Hamels vs. Pettitte
Game 4-Blanton vs. Gaudin? Sabathia? I'm guessing C.C on short rest. But if the Yanks are up 3-0, 2-1..I wouldn't be surprised to see Gaudin.
Game 5-Lee vs. Burnett
After that who knows? Hamels could jump Pedro for game 6 depending on how the series plays out. Should be interesting.

Now Manuel either made a brilliant move or terrible move here. 38 Year old Pedro in Yankee stadium. He was lights out against the Dodgers. Would I put him in Game 2 in Yankee Stadium with that short porch? However if the series is going south having Hamels there for Game 3 could be huge. (How fitting was it by the way that Pedro was the man who mathematically eliminated the Mets this year? Tim Redding? Come on Omar.)
I'll be rooting for Pedro in this one without a doubt.

The bullpen might be what decides this series. Hughes looked like a deer caught in headlights in his last appearance, the Yankees have destroyed Joba. Joe Girardi's moves to the bullpen have been asinine. Is Coke still on the Yankees? My first guy outta the pen would have to be Robertson if I'm the Yanks. Lidge was awful the 2nd half of the season along with Madson, but Lidge has been good in the postseason. I predict Chan-Ho getting lit up by the Yankees at least 1 time. Don't be surprised if Mariano leads the Yankees in innings pitched this series. Seriously, you gotta bleed Rivera dry this series.

Ok approaching the home stretch here. Girardi what the hell are you doing? 9th inning you're gonna pinch run for A-Rod? (A-Rod by the way is a great baserunner.) What happens if you tie that game Joe? Who plays 3rd? 2 Outs bases empty...you take out Robertson? For ACEVES?? Bases loaded 1 out...You take out Damon for HAIRSTON JR??? That made the Yankees lose their DH spot by the way and forced Mariano to hit, which forced them to pinch hit Fransisco Cervelli..I could go on all day...

The aforementioned Cervelli is not on the roster so it looks like AJ is gonna have to pitch to Posada. Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, and now AJ Burnett.. Posada can't catch curveballs and refuses to call them. Make the guy a DH if you keep him next year.

If you're a betting man, Yankees to win series -220. Phillies to win series +180.

My prediction: Phils in 6 or 7.
My Ping in TotalPing.com